Saturday 5 March 2016

The Classic Children's Literature Event IV

Amanda at Simpler Pastimes has hosted a Classic Children's Literature event every year for the past three, and as April rolls around it's time to pull out any classic children's book and read, read read!



I have had no time to really target the specific books I'm going to read, but I do have a few in mind.


  • A Triumph for Flavius – Caroline Dale Snedecker
  • Three Greek Children – Alfred J. Church
  • All Alone – Claire Huchet Bishop
  • My Father's Dragon – Ruth Stiles Gannet
  • Blue Willow – Dorothy Gates
  • When Hilter Stole Pink Rabbit – Judith Kerr
  • Carry On, Mr. Bowditch – Jean Lee Latham
  • Number the Stars – Lois Lowry
  • With Pipe and Paddle Song – Elizabeth Yates
  • The Sprig of Broom – Barbara Willard    

The read-along for the event will be Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kastner, which I have had on my shelves for ages, but haven't read yet.



So come one, come all, to read some children's literature with us as a pleasant introduction to the spring season.  Just pop over to Amanda's blog to sign up.



9 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you're joining in again! And thanks for posting. I look forward to your books - I'm not familiar with most of them even by title, and haven't read the ones I've heard of. I'd really like to know more about Elmer and the Dragon, that sounds intriguing... Can't wait for April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I should have put My Father's Dragon instead (I've fixed it now) because it's first in the series. If you haven't read it yet, I really, really encourage you to. It's fantastic fun and it's a short read. It won both a Newberry Honor and an ALA Noteable Book award. I'll almost guarantee that you'll love it!

    Thanks again for hosting! This event is one of my favourites of the year!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I re-read Emil in November, and it was just as great as I remembered. My kids liked it, too. :) I will see if I can join in. I have a few titles on my Classics Club list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, please join! The more, the merrier! I'm glad to hear that Emil was good; I don't think I've heard a bad review yet, so I'm excited to read it.

      Delete
    2. It would be lovely if you could join in! Any time an event/challenge doubles for Classics Club is always a good thing.

      Delete
  4. With Pipe, Paddle & Song is a book I've had for years and haven't read yet. I'll be joining in this year as well but not sure which books I'll pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be waiting to see which one you do choose. You always have some interesting ones, and often from yours I get to add to my list!

      Delete
  5. Children's Lit Event. Thanks for 'the nudge' !
    My kick-off post is on the blog...now I must make a reading list for myself. April will be filled with all the fairy tales, bedtime stories and tall-tales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, now that sounds nice and relaxing! Enjoy it! I'm popping over to your blog now .....

      Delete