Friday 4 March 2016

Classics Club Spin #12





I really wasn't certain whether I wanted to participate in the new Classics Club spin.  My last spin was a fail; I read the first essay of God in the Dock and then realized that I wouldn't do it justice with a quick read and a quicker post, so away it went back onto the list for when I have more time. However, I did read Cirtnecce's spin book, The Time Machine, so all was not lost.  At the moment though, I have so many reads going that adding another book just didn't appeal to me .............  Until I told myself that I am trying to concentrate on paring down my Classics Club list this year, and gave myself the permission to tweak the spin list a little.  I hope something good comes of it.  If I don't succeed with this spin, it will be my third fail, or almost fail,  in a row and my self-esteem just couldn't take it.  ;-)  

The Rules for the spin are:
  1. Go to your blog.
  2. Pick twenty books that you've got left to read from your Classics Club list.
  3. Post that list, numbered 1 - 20, on your blog by next Monday.
  4. Monday morning, we'll announce a number from 1 - 20.  Go to the list of twenty books you posted and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
  5. The challenge is to read that book by May 2nd.




I used the random list organizer here to choose the 20 books from my master list.  Then I tweaked them, so my list ended up looking like this:

  1. Richard III (1592) - William Shakespeare
  2. Villette (1853) - Charlotte Brönte 
  3. The Robe (1942) - Lloyd C. Douglas 
  4. Twenty Years After (1845) - Alexandre Dumas
  5. The Histories (450-420 B.C.) - Herodotus
  6. Metamorphoses (8) - Ovid
  7. Dead Souls (1842) - Nikolai Gogol 
  8. Framely Parsonage (1860 - 1861) - Anthony Trollope
  9. Gargantua and Pantagruel (1532 - 1564) - François Rabelais 
  10. The Faerie Queene (1590-96) - Edmund Spenser
  11. The Republic (380 B.C.) - Plato 
  12. Huckleberry Finn (1884) - Mark Twain
  13. Henry V (1599) - William Shakespeare
  14. A Doll's House (1879) - Henrik Ibsen
  15. The Waves (or other) 1931) - Virginia Woolf 
  16. Bondage of the Will (1525) - Martin Luther
  17. Tevye the Dairyman and Motl the Cantor's Son (1894) - Sholem Aleichem
  18. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1831) - Victor Hugo 
  19. Fear and Trembling (1843) - Soren Kierkegaard
  20. The Pilgrim's Progress (1678) - John Bunyan

Since I've completely manipulated my list (well, not completely ..... I changed out about 6 books)  I don't really have any that I'm dreading.  All the ones I'd dread, such as Metamorphoses, The Faerie Queene and The Histories, I'm already reading or have plans to read, so I'm really fine with anything on the list.  I will admit to removing Augustine's City of God; I'd love to read it but my time is so limited that if it was chosen, I'd be breathing in a paper bag. ;-)

As for books that I'm anticipating with eagerness .....  I will say Metamorphoses because I'm already more than half way through!  How's that for manipulation?

Oh Muse, sing of my spin choice ..........



34 comments:

  1. I just read your #1! So I hope you get that one. :) But #2 is also excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read a Shakespeare for my challenge so #1 would be good. A secret ...? ..... I've already started #2. Don't tell anyone, okay? ;-)

      Delete
  2. Cleo...how could you include Ovid or Spencer or Ibsen??? We are already reading those or will soon!! Yeessshhhh!! What is one supposed to do with your creative interpretation of the Spins?? LOL!!!!I agree with Jillian ...Loved Richard III when I read it in Jan. if you get Bunyan or Dumas, I may join you! Love Trollope! Love Farmley Parsonage...have done a review as well, so don't read the review until you read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I hope that I get Ovid. ;-P My creative spin list will (hopefully) keep my sanity. I've been planning to get back to Trollope but sadly I've had a Trollope-block. Perhaps this is the time to get out of it. We'll see on Monday!!

      Delete
  3. I loved #4 so I would definitely be hoping for that one - but I did enjoy #2, #8 and #18 too. I haven't read any of the others on your list. Good luck on Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I hadn't even thought much about The Hunchback. I loved Les Mis and I've been getting into a few of Hugo's poems, so this might be right up my alley. Thanks for the wishes!!

      Delete
  4. I'm rooting for Huckleberry Finn! It's one of my favorites. But Dumas or Trollope wouldn't be bad either. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huck would be good. I hesitate to admit that I've never fully read anything of Twain's. Isn't that awful!? Even if I don't get Huck this time, I'll have to pick up a Twain novel soon.

      Delete
  5. Hunchback is on my list too, and I'm really dreading it. I tried listening to an audio and it was glacially slow. I've heard it picks up considerably after the first 100 pages, but that still sounds dire.

    And I hope you get Framley Parsonage -- I love Trollope and that's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, that's not good. But I loved Hugo's digressions in Les Mis, whereas they tend to drive others batty, so I might not mind this one as much. Now you've made me curious. If you get it, I might do another switcheroo and read along too.

      Delete
  6. Yeah there is no way that City of God belongs on a Spin list. Not possible to read it in that time! I love your list, there is lots of good stuff on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, I'm not sure it belongs on any list that has any limited time-frame (even 5 years), but there it is, so there it will stay. But on a spin list, definitely not. It will probably get axed every time.

      Delete
  7. I just finished writing my list in my notebook. I'm hoping readathon will help me complete it by the May 2nd deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadlines, while often annoying, can sometimes be good things. I hope you get the book you want and that we're all able to finish on time, or better yet, with time to spare!

      Delete
  8. I studied Ancient History at school - we had to read sections of Herodotus for some of our assignments - I loved it so much I read it through - twice.
    I have no idea why my stepsons think I must have been a geek at school :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's so nice to hear. I think I'm going to love it!

      You're not a geek, you're an intellectual! Tell him that! ;-)

      Delete
    2. In their world intellectual=geek!
      Sad but true.

      Delete
  9. I studied Ancient History at school - we had to read sections of Herodotus for some of our assignments - I loved it so much I read it through - twice.
    I have no idea why my stepsons think I must have been a geek at school :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huck Finn would be an easy, breezy read for you. And it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that it's better than Tom Sawyer. I'm sure glad to hear the words "easy read" though! :-)

      Delete
  11. I may join you if you get Herodotus or Bunyan :) Very nearly listed Pilgrim's Progress myself...

    As you know I'm reading Gargantua and Pantagruel at the moment (it's taking a while must admit) and I am enjoying it. It's so not what I was expecting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might start Herodotus very slowly anyway. I know we talked about it later this year, so I won't get too far ahead.

      About G&P I've heard that it's an extremely odd book. However, I am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  12. I'm not spinning....but good luck.
    I'll give you moral support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you've been very busy focusing on your 100 list. Moral support is always very welcome! :-)

      Delete
  13. Cleo, I think you've convinced me to join in the Spin! I wasn't planning to, what with the April event, but considering that I've successfully used spins to get me started on books (even when I haven't finished them "on time"), maybe it's not such a bad idea to go for it. I might limit my list to books I already own and/or really want to get to this year, though.

    As for your list - sounds good! Good variety, too. Fingers crossed you get something you can finish on time! (Say, Metamorphosis... ;) ) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me feel much better to manipulate my list ...... I felt then the spin was doable. Better to change it up than not participate at all. Best of luck to you too! I notice that we're both experiencing the same types of reading "issues" lately, so we probably both need it! ;-)

      Delete
  14. First cup morning coffee is the best....tastes like revenge!
    Kick-off new classic list with: 'Revenge plays' The Spanish Tragedy (T. Kyd). Thanks to Classical Carousel Behold for your undying devotion [and nudging... :)] to promoting the classics! My new classic is online soon and created with your help and inspiration! I hope you don't mind I used some of your selections as a basis to start reading the classics again. Good luck with the spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't mind at all. I'm glad to see that you're "back to the classics"! When you deviate, I see three star posts and feel badly for you ..... Thanks for the wishes!

      Delete
  15. I have succumbed....I am spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay!! You get Framely Parsonage by Trollope! Just lovely! I am super excited and if my reading plate was not already toppling over, I would join for a re-read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, this is a good number for me, BUT I've been tempted by choices by other readers too, so I'm off to see which books everyone else has spun. I may have a couple of reads going ......... (stop laughing at me! ;-) )

      Delete
    2. I am laughing with you more than at you, because I am seriously considering a re-read with you! So we set sail in the same boat!

      Delete
    3. Really?!! That would be so fun and then I'm sure that I'd definitely get it read. I probably wouldn't start until another week or so. I seem to be keeping up with my reads, but just, so it would be nice to finish something before starting.

      Delete