Monday 5 May 2014

Madame Bovary Read-Along Part III




Madame Bovary Read-Along Hosted by ebookclassics &         Cedar Station


Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Part III

This is going to be a quick post to finish up my read-along comments before my review.  I've been left little time for reading lately, let alone posting, that I'm falling behind!

Honestly, the drama and copious introspection about how and why people commit adultery is getting rather wearying, especially given the limited aspects of Emma's character.

Her reconnection with Leon Dupuis is telling, as he is no longer the simple, infatuated provincial law clerk but now a sophisticated man-about-town, after his three-year stint in the city.  They begin a passionate affair, yet meanwhile her debts are piling up as she is regularly cheated and manipulated by M. Heureux.  Although Emma still attempts to delude herself into believing she is living a fulfilling life, her spiral downward increases.  For me, the most tragic part in the novel is where Emma, feeling the screws of debt tighten around her, asks for help from a number of people who either try to use her in her desperation, or cruelly turn her aside.  Rodolphe, her former love, rejects her in her need and this final abandonment appears to extinguish any hope.

The Death of Madame Bovary
Albert-August Fourie
source Wikigallery
Finally, rejected by each man she hopes will save her yet neglecting to go to the one who will (Charles), Emma takes arsenic and her death brings further consequences.  Charles is immersed in a grief which finally brings about his death and poor Berthe, their daughter, is condemned to live in poverty and toil.

I must admit I was somewhat glad to see this book come to a close.  I'll try to gather my scattered thoughts into a coherent review in the next few days.  Many thanks to C.J. at Ebookclassics and Juliana at Cedar Station for being wonderful hosts for this read-along!





2 comments:

  1. You must be so glad to be finished with this book. The Madame Bovary artwork in your posts is very interesting. It never occurred to me that the story could have inspired artists. Thanks so much joining us in the read-along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I read this book. I'm reading Zola at the moment and since he was a contemporary of Flaubert, it's interesting to compare the two. And, as much as MB frustrated me, I was thinking about it long after I finished it so, like it or not, that is evidence of a good read.

      Thanks for hosting!

      Delete